According to the EPA, These Top Industries Should Have Bed Bugs on the Mind
by Marissa Henderson
July 24, 2019
With the rising prevalence of bed bugs, we all need to be aware of bed bug prevention, but several industries are proving more vulnerable. If you work in the following trades make sure you and your employer are aware of the threat, read the compiled resources, and develop an action plan for both prevention and infestation. Read here on how GreenTech Heat can be a vital part of your plan.
With large numbers of people in and out of hospitals, many staying in beds, hospitals and other health care centers are prime targets for a bed bug invasion.
- Bed Bug Prevention and Control for Health Care Settings (Polk County, Iowa)
- Bed Bug Prevention for Emergency Facilities and Patient Transport (State of Virginia)
- CDC Resources for Health Professionals (U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Bed bugs are excellent hitch hikers and retail shopping gives them plenty of opportunity to jump hosts. Thrift shops, where furniture and clothes are coming in and staying, are particularly bed bug susceptible.
- NPMA Guidelines to Bed Bugs in Retails Stores (National Pest Management Association)
- Bed Bugs—Reduce Risk While Thrift Shopping (Oklahoma State University)
Schools and Childcare
In K-12, backpacks, coats, and kids can all carry bed bugs from home to school and spread them to other students and teachers. At the university level, sharing of beds from semester to semester is an obvious cause of bed bug infestation.
- Bed Bugs in Schools: Guidance for Administrators, Teachers, and Staff (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency)
- Bed Bugs: What Schools Need to Know (State of Michigan)
Travel and Transportation
Hotels are hopefully very aware and highly trained on recognizing bed bugs, but transit workers may not be.
- NPMA Guidelines Response to Bed Bugs in Public Transportation (National Pest Management Association)
If you or your business faces a bed bug infestation, ask your pest management company if they use GreenTech Heat to safely and effectively eliminate the problem or check out our site for more information. We developed GreenTech Heat technology to be effective against all forms of insect pests, but have found it to be equally effective against problem-causing allergens and bacteria as well. Give us a call. We are ready to help or consult with any unique applications!